Wednesday, February 23, 2011

From blah to ooh la la!

After completing our entryway makeover, I was determined to lighten other areas of our home as well.  I was loving the lighter, brighter colors and the crispness they added to our home.  So, I decided to move into the living room (just off the entryway).

We have a small dresser that once belonged to my Granny and Pop that sits between our two front windows.  It is nothing special, just a small pine dresser, but I love it because it belonged to them.  It houses our smaller board games, decks of cards and such.  So, it is a great storage piece!  I wasn't however loving the dark color I'd painted it years ago (it didn't turn out the color I had anticipated, but I was willing to live with it). 

Here's a couple not so great pics of the before.  (couldn't find a full length shot)




a really bad side view!


So, with the sunny weather we've been experiencing I decided to take it outdoors and give it the paint job it deserved.  I ended up spraying the drawers with Rustoleum's white Laquer spray paint, but rolled the cabinet with our trim paint as the wind was giving me fits when I got to the cabinet part.  I lucked out because the two colors are identical and you can't tell the difference.  I then distressed the edges of the cabinet and the drawers with fine sandpaper to reveal a bit of the old paint.

Here's a shot of the drawers up close...


And, the dresser finished and with its' new accessories (white porcelain lamp with burlap shade-Target, iron tray-Southern Living at Home, framed picture-Brighton, candle, vase and reed diffuser-all Pottery Barn).








I love how it turned out!!  I will be making some other changes to the room, and hope to reveal those soon.  The sea shell mirror is something I made a few years ago.  It is a store bought mirror that I hot glued shells that we have collected on our many vacations over the years.  It was a great way to display them!  However, I'd recommend wearing gloves...I had many a burnt fingers during that project!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment