Thursday, May 7, 2009

IVF Virgins

I bet that title captured your attention! But we all have to start somewhere...whether it's for a surrogacy or dealing with an infertility issue where IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) may be the solution. First I need to clarify what I'm talking about. IVF is a process that includes many steps. A couple of the 'invasive' aspects are the egg retrieval and the embryo transfer. If you are a surrogate or using frozen embryos, you only have to deal with the embryo transfer part...lucky you! Not wanting to leave the men out, there is the semen collection HOWEVER that normally doesn't require a doctor's help. Or shots...or anesthesia...or bed rest...well...maybe....

So it's your first time going through an embryo transfer and you have read everything you can and hopefully talked with a few people who have actually gone through the process. I have had 3 embryo transfers. The first one 'failed' and numbers 2 and 3 both were doubly successful. I really believe the first one failed because I was a nervous wreck! The stress...no one to talk with and not a whole lot of information to be found on the Internet. (Remember this was 1998-1999) Plus the doctors were switched a few minutes before my first transfer. Not only was I nervous but I ended up with a doctor that I hadn't even met seeing me at my most vulnerable. ( not to mention my Intended Parents being in the room with me during my transfer! )

Let me give you the nickel tour of an embryo transfer...this information is found on www.InfertilityAnswers.net under Surrogacy.
Embryo transfers simply deliver the embryos into the uterus. There is no need for sedation or anesthesia. It may not feel any different from an annual Pap smear.


A speculum is placed into the vagina. The embryos (usually no more then 3) are placed in a catheter along with a small amount of fluid, and then the tiny plastic tube is introduced into the uterus through the cervix and the embryo(s) are transferred into the endometrial cavity.


After the procedure, the patient will need to rest in bed for one hour, with her head down slightly and feet up. After going home, she will need to rest in bed for the rest of the day. On the next day she can resume non-strenuous activity. Please note that each clinic has their own protocol and will advise the patient to follow their specified directions.

There you have it. Sounds simple enough...and it really is anti-climatic! Seriously. After the all the drama and build up to the embryo transfer, the actual procedure, which takes place at the clinic, is over in five minutes and you are on your way to the two week wait (more commonly seen as the 2ww) All the testing, ultra sounds, shots, pills and suppositories..all the poking and prodding and instructions to remember, the embryo transfer is by far the easiest thing to go through. It sure as heck easier then a pregnancy or labor or delivery! I think the actual 2ww is more of a psychological and emotional killer then anything else.

Being comfortable is KEY! Asking all the questions you have, no matter how insignificant they may seem, is so important. Having the people who support you the most with you is vital. Knowing what to expect is priceless! (Sorry to sound like a MasterCard commercial but it is true!)

Sharon
www.InfertilityAnswers.net

No comments:

Post a Comment